Monday, November 14, 2011

Pork Chops Braised in Country Gravy

Who loves country gravy?  Is there anything you couldn't put it on?  Ok, I'm sure there is... but you can definitely put it on pork in this tasty recipe.  The prep work is super easy, and you cook the pork slowly for a nice tender, juicy pork.  Let's learn how to make this dish:


Pork Chops Braised in Country Gravy
*Recipe from Cooking Light
4 boned (or boneless) loin pork chops (about 1 inch thick)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk (I used 1%)
1 teaspoon butter

Ok, so off the bat I used 3 thick pork chops, cut in half to make 6 thin pork chops.  I'll show you how I altered the cooking time for mine, but for 1 inch thick chops follow the recipe cooking times.  I also used 50% more flour, salt and pepper to cover the additional pork chops.

Mix the flour, salt and pepper in a large zip top bag.
 Add the pork (with fat trimmed); seal bag, and shake to coat pork with flour mixture.  Remove pork from bag, reserving remaining flour mixture.
 Place reserved flour mixture in a small bowl and add 3/4 cup milk, stirring with a whisk until blended.
 Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add pork, cook 5 minutes on each side or until browned.
 Add milk mixture, cover, reduce heat to low and cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. (I cooked 20 minutes at this point for my thin pork chops).  Turn pork.  Stir in 3/4 cup more milk; cover and cook 30 minutes more, stirring occasionally. (I did about 15-20 minutes more for my thin pork)
 Uncover skillet, and cook pork 15 minutes or until gravy is reduced to 2/3 cup.  Spoon gravy over pork and serve.  You can also make extra gravy if desired.  It's tasty!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...