Thursday, October 13, 2011

Split Pea Soup (Crock Pot)

This is for all of you split pea soup lovers.  I am a huge split pea soup fan and I loved this!  My husband told me before I made this dish that he is NOT a split pea soup fan.  He told me this again as he was eating.  And then he consumed a second bowl, and topped off at two and a half bowls.  Take that as you will, but he certainly didn't put the spoon down. This soup can be done with yellow split peas or green.  I wish I could have found the yellow, but I couldn't, so I went with green.  Here's how to make it:

Split Pea Soup
*recipe from Betty Crocker
8 Cups Water
1 Package (1 pound) Dried Yellow or Green Split Peas, sorted and rinsed. ($1.19)
3 Medium Carrots, diced (1 1/2 cups) ($0.42)
1 Medium Onion, chopped (1/2 cup) ($0.40)
1 Medium Stalk Celery, chopped (1/2 cup) ($0.10)
1 Cup Diced Canadian-Style Bacon (5 ounces) ($2.99)
1 Teaspoon Salt ($0.01)
1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme Leaves ($0.10)
1/4 Teaspoon Dried Rosemary Leaves, crumbled ($0.02)
1/4 Teaspoon Pepper ($0.01)
Total Cost to Make $5.24 HOLY COW!!  That's a low price! Makes 8 Servings.

Prepare your ingredients by chopping the celery, onion, and carrot and rinsing the split peas.
 Add to the crock pot the split peas, carrots, onion, celery, bacon (I used ham-it's all I could find), salt, thyme, rosemary and pepper.
 Pour the water over top.  Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until peas and vegetables are tender.
 Place 4 cups of the cooked soup in a blender or food processor.  Cover and blend on medium speed until smooth.  Blend this soup back in to the crock pot with the remaining soup. 
Stir it up and dish it up.
 Enjoy! It's great to dip bread or rolls into this tasty soup!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...