Thursday, October 13, 2011

Modeling Chocolate

This was my first time making modeling chocolate and I'm so glad I did.  It was easier to mold than fondant and I got great results with it!  It's so easy to make, so don't be intimidated by it.  All you need is candy melts and light corn syrup.  You can use other forms of chocolate but I liked that the candy melts were already colored.  I wouldn't attempt to color my own.

Modeling Chocolate
14 oz package candy melts (I like Wilton)
1/3 Cup Light Corn Syrup

 Follow the package directions to melt the candy melts. When they are melted, add the corn syrup and stir together as best as you can until the corn syrup looks incorporated and the candy balls up together.
 Turn out mixture onto waxed paper and allow to dry for several hours.  I was scared at first that I did it wrong since my colors started to separate a bit, like in the picture below, but it turned out just fine.  I lifted up the wax paper on the sides to work the liquid back over the mixture as it started to dry.  
 When the mixture is dry, break off small pieces at a time and warm with your hands until it is workable.  Form into whatever you'd like to make.  I made this cool raptor! I used wires to shape him at first and worked around that to help hold his body shape.  You may need to take a break to let pieces dry a bit so they will stay the way you want them before moving on.  I finished this guy up with pieces of leftover fondant for the eyes, tongue and teeth, and I brushed him with some brown edible powder after using a sculpting tool to add lines and grooves to his skin.
 
That's all there is to it!  Hope you give it a shot and become an expert modeling chocolate sculptor!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...